Thursday, April 14, 2011

What's Right....

Many days I end up talking to quite a few people for the promotion of The Questioning Way blog and book. Every once in awhile I have one of those really good but really short conversations with someone where not a lot needs to be said, because everyone is on the same page. Today's post is for my new friend Jeanna with whom I recently had the pleasure of having one of those kind of conversations.  "What's Right" is a poem featured in the book.  



What's Right

He was bad news walking
The kind of guy you wish you didn't know
He was in his late thirties,
And had gone too far too early on
He was a big dog in big business
Leaking money and dripping pride
Smelled of Bourbon every day by 5:00pm
He played hardball and bragged of shady deals
Told me all about steamy nights with his secretary
While his wife waited at home
With dinner getting cold, a barking dog
And two children needing to be tucked in

Then one evening I saw him down at the bar
He said, John, everything's gone to shit, and I just don't know
Life is hollow, and I'm all wrong
I think my wife is gonna leave me, take my kids
How did I ever let it get this way?
What I should do? I just don't know

I said, hell Ed, yes you do
You did all along
They say all is fair in love and war
But I really don't believe that anymore
You know, a long time ago, I was just like you
I liked lotsa fat in life, loved only fast lanes on fast bikes
Hung always with bombshell bimbos shallow as a cocaine spoon
Every day I played both ends to the middle
Shot jacked-up pool with the best of them
And thought I'd do whatever it took
To make sure I'd always win

Then late one night out on a jet-black 750
Long, hard and deep on a right-hand curve
Ridin' way too fast, the bike went down
And four days later, I woke up damn near dead
But listen, weeks later, when I walked out of that hospital
The sky couldn't have been bluer
And the May air had never been as sweet and fresh
Standing there with metal in my hip
I held my head high
And looked at the day with bright new eyes

Live each day
As if it's going to be your last
Leave a good word with every stranger you meet
Make sure your ideals are well thought out
And worn on your sleeve
Every day, show the ones you care about
How much you appreciate them
And when the chance arises
To do things great or small
Have some faith and don't hesitate to leap
Because you might not be around too long


Just as every man can love
So each of us has a sense
That tells him what he ought to be doing
Knows what is right and what is wrong
Shows him what is kind, caring and strong
Sometimes it takes losing everything
To take a good hard look
And find out that all you really need to know
To steer a better course in life
Is already written in an open book inside of you


Live life full and hearty
If you find love, don't walk away
But make sure you run your desires
Don't let them run you
Always remember
Each morning begins a day not yet penned
Throw the game a time or two
In someones favor, who has less than you do
Guide your life with a compass that hopes
When your story is all written
And you've set your sail one last time
The blue and white rippling wake
You quietly leave behind
Will be gentle, uncommon and kind

Dewey Dirks---copyright 2009

2 comments:

  1. Wow, not only was I thrilled and honored to be a part of this but it actually brought tears, very warming heart felt tears, the kind you welcome rolling down your cheeks. Thank you so much Dewey. You are one deffinate asset to mankind!!! Your Friend Jeanna aka HarleyHoney

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this so espirational good work dewey like useal shell

    ReplyDelete