Monday, July 1, 2013

Where You Stand

Where You Stand

In my youth, I asked myself
“What way is best
for people to behave?”
Then one day
my tortoiseshell cat, Carrie
came to get me to stay by her side
when it was time
for her to have her first litter.
I remember her green eyes,
worried and hopeful
as if to ask for a comforting touch.
Then I knew it's best
to have empathy and care
for all souls, animal and human.

Years later, one sad morning
someone hit me hard and vindictively.
I asked life why they would
do a thing like that.
Later that day,
another person confided in me,
“You never really have known pain
until you look someone
you love very much in the eye
and see only the bare glare
of blank daylight gleaming back.”
I knew then humans
strike out only because
of fear, ignorance, or pain.

For many years
I asked, “Is there a God?”
Then one evening I saw
a sunset that bathed me
with a quiet golden air
so beautiful that I wept.
And I knew then
that it doesn't matter
if there's a God or not.
It is sufficient to know
that there ought to be.

Now, it's a fact
questions are as common
as blue June sky.
One of the secrets in life, my friend
is that if you have
the eyes and heart to see
answers are too.

Long ago, I decided
what I wanted most in life
was to learn.
It took me years to realize
that life gives us each
an endless supply
of change, curiosity,
questions, and answers.
It's just up to each of us
to decide to use them.

Leave half a glass of water
setting in the street,
and a few will
stand around arguing
whether it's is half empty
or half full,
till somebody else
wanders by and offers
someone who's thirsty a drink.
Good to know
it's usually more the matter
of where you choose to stand
than of what you go through.

Dewey Dirks

No comments:

Post a Comment