Sunday, November 3, 2013

Her Voice

Her Voice

Tonight I sat down
at the kitchen table
and lit a cigarette
to take a short rest
from the days work.
It was quiet
around our home.
Nala, my nieces
dog lay on the floor,
Mao-Mao, our white cat
sat by my chair.
A storm was brewing
and I could hear the wind
in the trees outside.
Back in the bedroom
I could hear my wife
talking on the phone
with her sister.

Even though I've heard
over the last twenty-five years
her conversations
ten-thousand times before.
I was suddenly struck
once again at how much
I enjoy hearing her lilting voice.

You know, some things
just never get old.
I've listened to her talk
for half my lifetime
and gladly will
enjoy hearing her voice
for the second half too.

She is my mate
and her voice improves
upon the beauty of the Earth
like the gentle rain
on the window at night
or a songbird
singing in the trees.
Her life, her love, her voice
are worth all the world to me

Dewey Dirks

No comments:

Post a Comment