Thursday, May 29, 2014

Alone Again

Alone Again

For the last
twenty-eight years
I've lived as part
of one couple or another.
So, finding myself alone
after all these years
is kind of a new thing for me
all over again.
I'm re-discovering what it is
to just be me,
and not part of a pair.
This I know---
there is much to learn
and although, like everyone else,
I've been changing
to remain the same through the years,
my experiences over all that time
have re-cast me.
I am not who I was
twenty-eight years ago.

I've learned to not want a lot
of everything, but rather
to want a few things a lot.
Where once I was always
focused on goals,
now, I pay more attention
to traveling and goals
are just part of the scenery
I pass along the way.
Where once my path
was often fenced
by my hopes and fears,
now I find fewer fences
and more unbounded
fields and sky.
I seem to be more me
than I was
in my twenties.
I'm more comfortable
in my skin even though
I've been scarred many times
by hell and high water.

Dewey Dirks

No comments:

Post a Comment