Friday, June 27, 2014

Good Grace

Good Grace

The other day I was talking
with a friend about the things
that I write.
She said, “I've noticed that most
of the poems you write
are uplifting and positive.”
I said, “Well, I write what
I know and what is in my heart.”
She said, “Certainly you must have
bad things happen to you too.”
I told her, “Yes, I've had very terrible
things happen but my experiences
in life have taught me that
if you are willing to look for it,
there are virtually always upsides
to the things that happen.

You know that scene from
Star Wars where the two Jedi
have to make it past a giant blast door
to get at the bad guys on the other side,
so they put their light sabers
into the door and after a few minutes
they just burn through the door?
The kind and good grace
of some of the things
that have happened to me
are like those light sabers---
They are of such a great
and powerful proportion,
that after awhile, their memory
manages to burn through
anything terrible
that happens to me.

Sometimes things happen to you
that you never really get over
some of them are bad, but there are
others as well even more lasting
that are good.
When I write, I keep the good
things in mind because
the memory of them outshines
just about anything else
that has ever happened to me.”

Dewey Dirks

No comments:

Post a Comment