Thursday, July 24, 2014

Be Still

Be Still

Years ago,
when I was a teenager,
my dad would sit
at the kitchen table
and think for hours on end
as he slowly smoked cigarettes
and drank black, hot coffee.
At the time I couldn't
figure out what
the point of it was.
I'd ask him,
Dad, why don't you get up
and do something?”
He always told me
the same thing.
He'd look at me, smile,and say,
I'm already doing something.”

It wasn't until years later
that I figured out he was right.
Sitting and thinking
is a beginning,
middle, and end all by itself.
It's one of the
more important things
we all need to do
and I'd be willing to bet
it's something that most of us
have forgotten,
or never learned how to do.

Our culture raises us
from embryos to stay busy
and most people are enculturated
so heavily that they will do
practically anything
to avoid having to sit and think.
On the rare occasion they do
sit and just think,
it's only when they have
some sort of crisis in their lives
and feel the need
to sort things out.

Get acquainted with yourself.
Teach yourself to be still.
If you do, I'll bet you'll find
that you're a pretty enjoyable
person to hang out with.
Start by having
a conversation with yourself
when you are all alone.
For an hour or two,
sit somewhere comfortable
with a drink and think about
anything you'd like.

Put down your phone.
Don't text your friends.
Don't sit at the computer.
Don't watch
the wide screen television.
Ask yourself a few questions
about things big and small.
See what sort of answers
you bring to the table.
Great things always begin
by being still.
Likewise, all your
journeys inward start
by being still, my friend.

My dad was a brilliant man
and a natural born engineer---
Among the best I've ever come
across or even heard of
and all the things he made
in life began by sitting
at the kitchen table thinking.
And me? Well, just about
everything I ever write
begins by being still for awhile.

Dewey Dirks

No comments:

Post a Comment