Sunday, September 14, 2014

Roads Inward

Roads Inward

There are many ways to start your journey inward.
Truth be known, I think that sooner or later
pretty much every road leads inward
at some point along the line.

Some open the doors inward through
spirituality, mysticism, or philosophy
and a soul searching longing
to know how life is put together.

Some people begin out of necessity
when they suffer from life changing
events that give them shell shock
and they find the only way to see it through
is to travel the roads deep, deep inside.
Others begin after a very close brush with death
that opens their mind and spreads bare their soul.

Some begin their journey inward through science
when they become interested in anthropology,
sociology, psychology, biology, or even physics.
Most every path in science leads to introspection
if you are honest enough in your objectivity
and you travel far enough down the line.

My journeys begin as a teenager
when a couple of very gifted teachers
introduced me to the world of philosophy,
and to the notion that the knowledge and wisdom
of Man is not confined to one single worldview,
but the roads of truth are broad and many.
Not long after, when I was nineteen
I decided two very important things---
First, I decided that what I most wanted to do in life
was learn as many things as I could no matter where
it might lead me and so I let my natural curiosity
begin to point the way in my life.
Second, I began to call into question
virtually everything I had ever been taught.
As time passed, I realized I'd become a collector
of ideas and differing points of view.

As the years quickly rolled on,
although I didn't realize it at the time,
through happenstance and circumstance,
life was very kind to offer up
just the sort to lessons I needed to learn.
Soon, I discovered that the farther
out into the world that you explore,
the more deeply you also look within
because all human perceptions about
the world around us are viewed through the filters
of the ideas floating around in our heads.

Along the way, after I had a couple very close
brushes with death by wrecking on motorcycles,
my eyes were opened to the notion
that every day is to be cherished, because no one knows
how long they've got on this Earth,
and I learned that it wasn't enough
to merely know lots of things, that knowledge
is never complete until it's been shared with others,
so, I began to write about some of the things I'd learned.

Many years have now gone by and much water
has passed beneath all the bridges I've crossed.
Each day, I still learn a new thing or two,
and I spend much of my time writing about
what I've learned over the long years behind.
I think perhaps among the most important things
I've learned is that you gotta believe in love
before you can believe in most anything else at all.

Dewey Dirks

No comments:

Post a Comment