Monday, May 18, 2015

Up For Guessing

Up For Guessing

Long ago I wrote that there are
Only a handful of things that a person
Can know with any great certainty
And I said the only absolute truth
A person can be sure of
Is that they're breathing

Now, fifty-five years down the line
I've seen things happen so terrible
That they reached
To the marrow of my bones,
I've seen things happen
So beautiful beyond
The conveyance of any words
That they imprinted
Their images into my soul
And I've rediscovered several times over
That both truths and reality itself
Are as malleable as the combined imaginations
Of seven billion human minds can make them

Fifty-five years on,
I've still only found a few absolute truths
---That I'm breathing
And that breath is a gift all by itself
Far beyond any human measure
And that the great rivers
Of love run as deep as the farthest reaches
Of all the stars at night
Everything else
Is pretty much up for guessing
And that is a very good thing, my friend,
Because within uncertainty
Are hidden freedom,
Hope, and the seeds of creativity


Dewey Dirks

No comments:

Post a Comment