Thursday, June 25, 2015

Open Windows

Open Windows

I sit sipping my coke
And the moments slowly
Swim by me and and through my mind
The waitress and bartender
Come by from time to time
As we talk idly, I smile outwardly
Because I really enjoy their conversation
And smile inwardly too because I can see
Their soul sparking in their eyes

I don't really know when the storm passed
But now I find myself in a new sort of storm
This one is much different than before---
It's made of a beauty and joy,
Anticipations and sweet innuendo,
Happenstance and coincidence,
Moving now slowly, now quickly
Past me and through me all around
Full of enigma and mystery
Sweet to taste and soft to touch
Now, when I look at someone
Sometimes I see their joy
Other times I see their pain
Reaching out to touch me
Through the open windows of their souls
I know that when we touch, it increases
The joy and softens the pain
And I know that it's really not the storm
That has changed so much as my eyes

Dewey Dirks

No comments:

Post a Comment