Saturday, April 9, 2016

Views

Views

This morning I sat for a long time
looking at the scenery outside my home
There were tall green trees and leafy bushes,
tan rooftops, red ochre walls,
and a playground with blue and yellow slides.
As I looked out my open sliding-glass door,
I noticed that the shades of colors were different
depending on whether I was looking through
the glass window, or through the wire screen
that covered the other half of the door.

Through the glass, colors were of a deeper shade
while the colors through the screen
were a little more pastel as the wire mesh
diffused the morning sunlight shining bright outside.

Same scene, different views,
through different perspectives and I knew that
if I opened the door, and stepped outside,
I would see all the morning colors from
yet a third perspective as well.

Everything you ever look at in life is just like that---
You'll get different views of the very same things
depending upon the filter of expectations,
assumptions, preconceptions and ideas
you happen to be looking through.

It is good to learn to stand back
from one singular perspective and view
whatever you're looking at through
several different filters in order
to get a more well rounded view
of what your looking at.

Become a collector of ever more points of view.
You'll find soon enough that no single point of view
has a corner on the market of truth
and you'll discover in yourself
greater empathy for ever more people.

Dewey Dirks

No comments:

Post a Comment