Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I See You Now

 
This is a poem from my new book, “Wildflower” Hope you enjoy it

 I See You Now

When we were young
we used to say to each other
that when you die
your soul goes back
to the Summerlands
to live with the Earth Mother
in the rocks, the sky, and clouds
and the leafy green trees.
Now, we both knew to believe that
but back then they were
only so many words
we told each other
around the table
to comfort ourselves
the loss of our loved ones.
Until today...

Today I saw you there
lingering in the pearlescent light
of the sun coming
through the window.
You filled the room
with a love song
and I filled the room
with tears of joy.

I walked outside
and I heard your voice
in the gusty wind
rustling through the trees.
You were there
waiting to meet me.
I heard your laugh,
I heard your lilting voice,
saw you raise your colors,
heard your rebel creed,
and yes, the tears
of your sorrow too---
all part of white spring clouds
and the deep blue sky
all around me.

They say each soul
is a limitless eternity,
that in life we each
condense like drops of water
into the confines of our bodies,
and that when we die,
we cross the blue doorway
to become once again,
part of the timeless time
of boundless infinity.

In the darkness
we traveled through
you taught me how to see
the unfeigned shine
of the sun, the moon,
and the stars filling the skies
with the breath of light.
Now I know how to look
and I see you now,
as you once and always were.
A single drop in a vast ocean
and the whole ocean itself,
singing the songs of life
along with all eternity.

Dewey Dirks

No comments:

Post a Comment